A ride on toy was definitely on the shopping list as my little girl was about to turn one. I couldn’t wait to see her driving around our living room or neighborhood, no license needed. There are so many choices these days when it comes to ride on toys. I’ve highlighted the top reviewed ones from Amazon along with why parents seem to like them. I hope this list helps save you time in choosing a ride on toy for your little one. (All ratings and review summaries are based on the reviews at the time of writing and are subject to change)
Be prepared to help your child if they are young like mine. Many reviews report that their little ones that are closer to one need to be pushed on the toy by a parent until they grow into it.
This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase through a link I may receive a small commission.
1. Step 2 Up & Down Roller Coaster. Topping the list is this fun toy that is a ride on toy and an amusement park ride all in one. It has over 1,000 reviews and 93% are 5 star ratings, that’s a pretty good track record. You’ll need a bit of space for this one as the ride on toy comes with a track. It says for kids 2-5 but from the reviews it looks like the sweet spot is 2-3 years of age. Some even mentioned their younger children having fun on it as well with a little extra support and supervision. It even comes in a Thomas the Train version!
My daughter recently tried one of these out at a play place and she loved it! She wanted to go again and again. She quickly figured out how to put her feet up and ride it just like a little roller coaster. She was about 20 months at the time.
2. Another hit is the Little Tikes Scoot Around Animal Ride-On – Elephant or Hippo. It has a handle for little ones that are learning to walk. The front of the animal features a trunk that can be filled with 3 small balls for the elephant or a shape sorter for the hippo. The product says it’s good for ages 12 months – 3 years and fits up to 42lbs. Over 80% gave this a 5 star rating and nearly 95% rated it 4 stars or above.
3. Third on the list is a Disney themed ride on toy. The Mickey Plane Light & Sound Activity ride on has just under 50 reviews but all are 4 or 5 stars so clearly it’s a crowd pleaser! This one is a bit more exciting as it has a spinning propeller on the front and other lights and sounds as well to provide a lot of entertainment for your future aviator. The toy says it’s for ages 12 months – 3 years and does require 2AA batteries.
4. VTech Sit to Stand Alphabet Train will fit the bill perfectly. A cross between an activity table/cube, a walker, and a ride on toy, this purchase should keep your little one busy for quite some time. It is geared for children 12 months – 3 years and requires 3 AA batteries. Parents seems to be fans with 90% rating it 4 stars or above. It doesn’t seem to be quite as steady as the others but great if you are looking for something that does more than just provide your child with something to scoot around on.
5. Not your traditional ride on toy the Step2 Mclaren 570S Push Sports Car Ride-on Toy is perfect for riding around the neighborhood in style from 18 months – 4 years. This sports car comes complete with a seatbelt, under seat storage, and race car sounds as your child plays with the wheel. The handle for the parent to push with is tall, a reviewer who is 5’9” said it felt just right. The handle also has a drink holder for mom or dad. This is a fairly new toy and is on Amazons 2017 hot toy list. This toy does require assembly so be prepared to break out the tools and do some building.
6. The Cozy Coupe is a classic. We definitely had one as kids and played with it until we looked like a comical circus act trying to fit it inside when we’d outgrown it. The cozy coop is great if you like to be outside and want a little extra protection from the sun or light rain. This little coupe is good for 18 months – 5 years of age and has a removable floor so you can push them until they are ready to go Fred Flintstone style. Just under 90% rate it 4 stars or above. It comes in red, pink, cozy truck, or even a dinosaur version.
7. Rounding out the list is a ride on and first tricycle combo. The Radio Flyer 4 in 1 Stroll N Trike has 4 modes and converts from where the parent does all the work to eventually become babies first tricycle. If you go for walks in your neighborhood a lot this may be a great option to use as strollers and eventually for your little one to power all by themselves. It comes in traditional Radio Flyer red or pink. It’s rated 4.5 stars with over 1,700 reviews.
More great gifts for kids!
Awesome gift ideas for 2-year-olds
Best Dinosaur Toys for Toddlers