Looking for a quick and easy dinner idea? This layered chicken enchilada casserole is easy to make and delicious to eat. It’s easy to change up the ingredients to please even the pickiest eaters.
With layers or chicken, cheese, corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, and whatever other goodies you want to add it’s a meal the whole family will love. It’s also easy and quick to make, perfect for busy families.
My toddler even ate some and she currently survives off of pouches and cereal bars. (I may have bribed her with raspberries to take bites, but usually, there is no bribe good enough to get my toddler to eat meat.)
How to make layered chicken enchilada casserole
How to prepare the chicken
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking one of my links I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The first thing you’ll need to do is to prepare the chicken. I used enchilada flavored chicken I made in my crock pot and then shredded. You could also use your instant pot if you prefer or cook it on the stove.
The crock pot was easy as I could just set it and forget it. It’s great for cooking ahead of time on the weekend for quick and easy weeknight meal preparation.
You can also buy pre-shredded chicken at stores like sprouts or use a rotisseries chicken from the store and shred up the meat.
Then follow the directions below to make your perfect corn tortilla enchilada casserole.
Tips and tricks
We found it easy to make ours in 2 8×6 pyrex dishes. That way we could easily customize them the way we wanted and then simply pop the lid on for easy storage of the leftovers.
Use a church key to put two openings in the enchilada sauce can. That way you can easily pour a small amount into your pan. It’s much easier than using a spoon or trying to pour from just an open can.
- 1 small can enchilada sauce
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 2 cups shredded mexican cheese
- 10 small corn tortillas
- 2 oz diced green chilis
- black olives
- diced onions
- sour cream for topping
- Pre-cook and shred your chicken breasts
- Add diced green chilis and onions to the meat if desired (you can also cook these with the chicken if you're not making a kid friendly version as well)
- Place a thin layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom of your pan
- Place a layer of tortillas to cover the entire pan. This took me 2.5 small tortillas.
- Cover the tortillas with a thin layer of enchilada sauce
- Use 1/2 of your shredded chicken to create a chicken layer. (If you're making 2 pans 1/4 of your chicken should be used on each.)
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of the chicken.
- Optional: Place black olives on top of the cheese (as many as desired)
- Repeat steps 4-8 to create a second layer
- Bake in the oven 15-30 minutes until warmed through. Cooking time will vary based upon pan size and thickness.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 71mg Sodium: 267mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 24g
Pin it for later and check out my other recipes for Easy Meal for Busy Moms. If you enjoy this please give it a 5 star rating!